Jalapeño Cheddar No-Corn Bread
This gluten-free and low-carb option can replace regular cornbread any time of the year.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tsp baking powder (make sure it's grain-free ) (you can omit for the gaps protocol, just keep in mind the bread won't rise as much)
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (or 1 tsp honey for gaps protocol). For low-carb or keto, you can substitute Swerve.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter or 7 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain, whole coconut yogurt)
- 2 medium jalapeños, minced (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups grated raw Cheddar cheese (omit for Paleo)
Preheat oven to 425°F and adjust rack to middle position of oven. Butter a 9-inch cast-iron skillet an 8 x 8-inch baking dish . Whisk almond flour, coconut flour baking powder, sea salt, baking soda and coconut sugar together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, and sour cream. Pour sour cream mixture, jalapeños and onions into flour mixture and gently fold all ingredients together. Pour half of the cornbread batter into the baking dish and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, and then pour the remaining batter on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.