Coconut Curry Meatballs
The rich curry sauce combined with juicy chicken meatballs makes this meal feel unhealthy, but it’s actually quite healthy, and satisfying. We love using canned coconut milk or coconut cream in place of heavy cream to keep things dairy-free. You’ll get all the creaminess, but keep inflammation down. Indian spices are fantastic anti-inflammatory ingredients, so use them often!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced*
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- *To make Fodmap friendly, omit the garlic and use only the green parts of the green onions, adding in one more stalk.
Optional Zoodles & Sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespooons almond butter
- Pinch stevia
- Pinch sea salt
- 4 yellow summer squashes, or zucchini, spiraled or peeled into ribbons
Add chicken to a large food processor and pulse until chopped well. Add in the garlic, coconut, egg, curry, cilantro, green onion and salt and process for 10 seconds or until nicely ground.
Roll into 25 meatballs
Heat oil in a large pan over medium and add meatballs. Cook on all sides for 1-2 minutes, and until cooked through (about 8 minutes total).
Whisk together the coconut milk, almond butter, curry, stevia and salt. Pour into pan and coat meatballs well for 30 seconds. Add in the squash "noodles" and toss to coat for 1 minute. Promptly remove onto four plates, and serve. (If you leave the squash noodles heating in the pan too long, they’ll begin releasing water. Just leave them long enough to get slightly warm).
Net Carbs: 7g